Japan to temporarily suspend each arrivals of overseas nationals
From CNN's Junko Ogura successful Tokyo
Japan volition temporarily suspend the caller arrivals of overseas nationals starting Tuesday, Japan's Prime Minister Nobuo Kishida said connected Monday.
This is simply a processing story, much to come.
Detection of caller Covid variant Omicron has prompted countries to enforce question bans. Here's what we know
A increasing fig of counties person moved to artifact flights from respective African nations pursuing the find of a recently identified coronavirus variant Omicron.
Here's what we know:
What is the caller variant?
- Known as Omicron, it was archetypal identified successful South Africa, though it is unclear whether it originated determination oregon whether it was brought into the state from elsewhere successful the region.
- What scientists bash cognize is that the microorganism is overmuch more likely to mutate successful places wherever vaccination is debased and transmission high.
- The World Health Organization designated the strain arsenic a variant of interest connected Friday and said aggregate studies are underway arsenic advisers proceed to show the variant.
Where has it been detected?
- The Omicron variant has been detected successful astatine slightest 14 countries and territories including South Africa, Botswana, Australia, Canada, Czech Republic, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Germany, Italy and Belgium.
What are the mutations?
- South African genomic scientists said the variant has an unusually precocious fig of mutations, with much than 30 successful the key spike protein -- the operation the microorganism uses to get into the cells they attack.
- Scientists are acrophobic those mutations could marque the variant much transmissible and could effect successful immune evasion.
- But the WHO stressed that much probe is needed to find whether the variant is much contagious, whether it causes much terrible disease, and whether it could evade vaccines.
Travel bans imposed
- At slightest 44 countries person imposed impermanent restrictions connected question from the confederate Africa portion implicit the Omicron variant.
- Japan, Rwanda, Hong Kong and Taiwan are the latest places to tighten borderline restrictions connected travelers from astatine least six African nations.
- The United States, UK, European Union countries, and Australia person besides restricted travel from these areas.
Omicron quality sum is successful overdrive, but there's inactive truthful overmuch we don't know
From CNN Business' Brian Stelter
The blessing of Thanksgiving connected Thursday was followed by a curse connected Friday: Urgent quality astir the caller Covid variant named Omicron.
The world is that "we cognize astir thing astir the Omicron variant," arsenic this header connected The Atlantic's website helpfully states. But the abrupt reactions to the quality -- banal selloffs, question restrictions, endless Twitter threads -- made Omicron the apical communicative of the play crossed each sorts of quality websites and networks.
Now the satellite is successful a benignant of accusation holding pattern. Sociologist Zeynep Tufekci enactment it this way: "South Africa has talented america an aboriginal informing with Omicron. But earlier the warning, the little we know."
"Wait 2 weeks" seems to beryllium the statement astatine the moment. Dr. Paul Burton, the main aesculapian serviceman for Moderna, told CNN connected Sunday, "We person to spell done a mates of weeks present of uncertainty." The White House's readout of President Biden's gathering with Dr. Anthony Fauci and members of his Covid Response Team made the aforesaid point.
Read Stelter's afloat communicative here.
Hong Kong tightens borderline restrictions for 8 African countries owed to new Omicron variant
From Lizzy Yee successful Hong Kong
Hong Kong became the latest destination to tighten borderline restrictions connected radical arriving from 8 confederate African countries successful effect to the new Omicron variant, the authorities announced connected Saturday.
Hong Kong residents arriving from South Africa, Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia and Zimbabwe volition person to walk 7 days successful a authorities quarantine installation wherever they volition acquisition regular Covid-19 investigating and beryllium monitored by wellness professionals.
Upon completion of the 7 days, residents volition beryllium allowed to decorativeness the remainder of their compulsory quarantine astatine a designated quarantine hotel.
They are besides required to acquisition regular Covid-19 investigating aft accomplishment successful Hong Kong.
Non-Hong Kong residents who person visited immoderate of the 8 confederate African countries wrong 21 days are nary longer allowed to participate Hong Kong arsenic of Saturday. Non-residents traveling from South Africa were already barred introduction owed to its presumption arsenic a high-risk country.
Dutch constabulary apprehension mates who fled from Covid edifice aft traveling to South Africa
From CNN's Sharon Braithwaite successful London
Dutch constabulary said connected Sunday they arrested a mates connected a level aft they "fled" from a edifice wherever passengers from South Africa who person tested affirmative for Covid-19 are being quarantined.
Dutch subject constabulary astatine Amsterdam's Schiphol airdrome "arrested a mates this evening who had fled from a quarantine hotel," constabulary spokesperson Stan Verberkt told CNN.
The mates -- a Spanish national and a Portuguese nationalist -- were arrested connected a level that was astir to instrumentality disconnected en way to Spain astatine 6 p.m. section clip (12 p.m. ET), Verberkt said.
They are not successful custody but are being quarantined astatine different facility, Verberkt said, adding the authoritative volition determine successful the adjacent fewer days if they volition beryllium charged.
Public wellness authorization (GGD) spokesperson Stefanie van Waardenburg said the mates was among the passengers connected a formation that landed astatine Schiphol from Johannesburg connected Friday.
Some of the passengers connected that formation tested affirmative for the caller Covid-19 variant Omicron, Waardenburg said. The arrested mates did not trial affirmative for the Omicron variant.
The Netherlands is among a increasing fig of countries that person imposed a formation prohibition connected the confederate African region.
Read much connected this communicative here.
Woman charged with arson aft quarantine edifice fire
From CNN's Hilary Whiteman
A 31-year-old pistillate has been charged with arson aft allegedly lighting occurrence beneath a furniture astatine a quarantine edifice successful Cairns, successful the Australian authorities of Queensland.
The pistillate had been astatine the Pacific Hotel for a mates of days, Queensland Police said, earlier she allegedly acceptable occurrence to the country wherever was staying with 2 children aboriginal Sunday morning.
More than 160 guests were evacuated from the gathering arsenic flames took clasp of the precocious floors. No 1 was injured, but constabulary said the edifice suffered “significant damage.”
As of Sunday, nary of the guests had tested affirmative for Covid-19, according to authorities wellness officials.
In Queensland, caller arrivals from designated Covid-19 hotspots are required to walk 14 days successful quarantine. Some are allowed to quarantine astatine home, if they conscionable strict requirements, including having a spot to enactment that doesn’t person shared access.